Hey FNQ Locals! Tell the Tourism Industry #StandupfortheReef !!
The Great Barrier Reef is a renowned treasure but has been hit by its FOURTH coral bleaching disaster. Right when we need to cut pollution, the Queensland Government has committed to exporting new low-quality coal from the Indian-owned Adani Carmichael Mine.
This high-risk project will result in more extreme weather and further bleaching of our Reef. Cairns and our lifestyles will suffer – an estimated 69,000 jobs depend on a healthy Reef.
Instead of calling for decisive action, the leadership of the local tourism industry remain silent on the issue, pretending it’s business-as-usual.
Rather, we must set an example to the world to do everything in our power to save the Great Barrier Reef. North Queenslanders know first-hand what is really happening.
There is something you can do.
You can SIGN BELOW to tell our local tourism leaders at Tourism Tropical North Queensland (TTNQ) AND Association of Marine Park Tour Operators (AMPTO), STAND UP FOR THE REEF!
We, the people of Cairns call on the leadership of Tourism Tropical North Queensland (TTNQ), and The Association of Marine Park Tour Operators (AMPTO), to use your positions, to stand up and take leadership for a healthy Reef.
We urge you!
- Write to the Queensland Government, request that they stop signing approvals for the Adani Carmichael Mine; And reject the NAIF loan.
- Call for an end to all new coalmines in Queensland, and for a timetable to phase out existing coal mines.
- Publicly shift away investments and banking services from the ANZ and Commonwealth Banks which still may provide loans to the Adani Carmichael mine project.
- Speak at events and make public statements displaying real leadership for the FNQ tourism industry.
- Sign the pledge for a sun-powered Queensland to encourage renewable energy investment in the tourism sector http://www.solarcitizens.org.au/sunpoweredqld
- Get involved with #StopAdani!
Together, we must demonstrate to the world that the ‘Age of Fossil Fuels’ is OVER and that we are doing everything in our power to reverse global warming, ocean warming and the acidification that is killing our Reef.